Home    Work with Me    Blog   |   Speaking   |   Contact

Saturday, May 31, 2014

When There's Nothing We Can Do



"Out of all that you possess, what do you believe is the most valuable?" he asked me.

"Rich, you know me well enough to know I put little value on things in my life. So, this, for me, is a difficult question," I replied.

"It's not the same answer for everyone and yet, most people put little, if any, value on this," he said.

Rich is a man with more energy than any one person should have. When he is speaking with you he talks to everyone around you. When he is in a room everyone knows it. He is not boisterous, rude or obnoxious. He is just super happy and friendly with everyone he meets.

There are times when I see people and wish out loud, "I want to be that happy." I'm not sure I'd want to be as happy as Rich. He sometimes exhausts me.

I thought about what he said for a few minutes while he scanned the people nearby.

"Hey, this is Bobby Perks. He's a big time writer!" he said to someone. I, in turn, wanted to hide.

"Well, I would guess I would say I value my home. It's a simple one, big enough for Marianne and I, but I would guess shelter would have to be at the top of my list."

"Good answer. I knew you wouldn't say your car. You don't drive a fancy one. You don't wear a watch or fancy jewelry. You're right, stuff doesn't matter to you."

"So, what's your answer?"

"Your words. Not because you are a writer and a speaker. I believe that you own your words and many people don't. You care about what you say."

He gives me more credit than I deserve for I have, like some people, said things I regretted later.

I thought about "owning my words."

They say that actions speak louder than words, but people tend to say things without really thinking.

Words build up or tear down.

Words inspire or insult.

The first words spoken have made lovers out of strangers.

The last words whispered may ease a mourners pain.

Words spoken in anger are often forgiven, but rarely forgotten.

"Just what I needed to hear!" means God spoke through you.

You are what you say and how you say it.

Matthew 12:37 "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

Dale Carnegie once said, "You have it easily in your power to increase the sum total of this world's happiness now. How? By giving a few words of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged. Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime."


Sometimes words are all we have when there's nothing we can do.

"I wish you enough!"

Bob Perks

Bob Perks is an inspirational author and speaker. Bob's new book I Wish You Enough has been published by Thomas Nelson Publishers. A collection of stories based on his Eight Wishes expressed below. Available through your favorite bookstore or online. Visit www.BobPerks.com



"I Wish You Enough!"
(c) 2001 Bob Perks


I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish you enough "Hello's" to get you through the final "Goodbye.
"


No comments: